A letter to my daughter on her 1st day of school

by Epic Mom on September 6, 2012

Dear Brie,

It feels like just yesterday that I held you in my arms for the very first time. You were so small and delicate and I remember being overwhelmed with love for you and fear that I’d fall short of the matriarchal mark somehow. Yet, as you have grown, so have I. Somehow, through the daily tasks of changing your diaper, feeding you, hugging you, kissing you, reading to you and playing with you, my fear has been replaced by grace-filled understanding. I’ve learned that you appreciate words of affirmation, you need positive strokes and you truly cherish gifts from the heart regardless of how big or small they are. You are thoughtful and considerate, loyal and steadfast, nurturing and independent, strong and sensitive. You are beautifully and wonderfully made and my heart is full to overflowing with the thought of what a blessing you have been to me.

Lately, my eyes have been frequently drawn to you, soaking in the cadence of your voice, your mannerisms, your essence. It baffles me that three and a half years have whispered past us so quickly, while I was so completely engrossed in watching you become the awesome child you are at this moment. You were steadily growing up in the mundane moments while I taught you how to spell your name, encouraged you to pick yourself up and dust yourself off when you fell, kissed your boo-boos, sang to you on road trips and told you I love you time and time again. The individual days felt full and long but the years have definitely flown.

As I sit here writing this letter to you, the clothes I picked out for your first day of school are hanging in your closet, your new backpack is ready to go and your little alarm clock has been set. Tomorrow morning, we will hold your hands and walk with you towards this new adventure. You are not alone.

I hope school will be a place where you will thrive academically, experience healthy friendships and discover more about the world that we live in. I hope your experience in school will bring out the very best in you. Please remember, our home will always be a safe haven when you are faced with adversity. I’m never too busy to listen to you share what happened in your day, and finally, always remember that you are a strong, intelligent, resilient, beautiful child of God and I love you.

With lots of love from here to the moon and back,

Your Mommy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sharing is caring...EmailPinterestFacebookTwitterGoogle+StumbleUpon

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Renee C. September 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Oh, I love that. That is so sweet. What a great idea! <3 Brie is so beautiful and she seems so thrilled to be going to kindergarten. How did the first week go Char? Do you have gradual entry there?

Epic Mom September 9, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Hey Renee, it’s great to hear from you! Because of gradual entry, Brie started on Thursday and she was super excited to go. Her dad and I made a promise that we would hold it together in front of her and really promote how great this new phase is going to be. Well she bought it until we took her back to school after lunch then declared, “but I already went to school” and burst out in tears that she wanted to go back to homeschool with mommy. Oh, it was so hard but by the end of the school day on Friday, she seemed to be catching her stride. I can’t wait to see what new adventures will unfold this week. Thank you so much Renee for caring enough to ask! :)

April September 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm

So sweet. I can’t even imagine. My 9mo is so tiny… I’m not even ready.

April @100lbcountdown.com

Epic Mom September 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Oh April, the time honestly flies by. Enjoy your little one!

Kim M September 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

New follower and you have one nice blog…really! I’m sure you’ve been told that before!

Your daughter is adorable! I remember when mine were that little!

Kim M.

Epic Mom September 9, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Awww, thanks Kim! :)

Kelly September 6, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Awwww! This is so touching…I love it! You’re daughter is beautiful.

Kelly @ Our Everyday Harvest

Epic Mom September 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Kelly, it was a hard week for me but she’s adjusting really well to the transition to school! :)

Susie @ Homemaker-mom.com September 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

That was amazing! I seriously have a tear in my eye……. our kids they all grow up so fast. What a beautiful letter your girl will someday grow more & more to cherish!

Epic Mom September 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Susie, I really needed to pour out my feelings on paper. I’m going to miss her so much.

Deanna September 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm

*tear :-)
Beautiful

Epic Mom September 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Thanks Dee, I’m sure your feeling the same way too now that your little guy is going to school too!